Friday, August 31, 2018

How Much Rice Can One Plant Produce?!



Due to the size of our rice farm, I've never considered how much rice can one plant produce. I always calculate in acres. I know who much a single rice field can yield but never thought about how much a single plant can yield. That was all until I received a great question from a viewer on Rice Farming TV. He asked, "How many kernels of rice does the average plant produce?"

To find the answer we will simply count the rice kernels (or seeds) that a single plant is producing. Each rice plant makes a seed head that is comprised of spikelets or blooms, forming grains of rice.

Numbers of how much rice a plant produces is dependent on a variety of factors: the rice farmer, rice variety, region the rice was planted (soil type and weather patterns), and more.

I just thought this was such a great question that I needed to dedicate an episode of Rice Farming TV to it. Let me know if you have any questions about rice production or farming rice in California.

No comments:

Post a Comment